I have recently discovered an author of two excellent historical novels. If you want to read fiction about the Middle Ages check out Karen Maitland. She’s written two novels – Company of Liars and Owl Killers (of which I’m halfway through). Both are rich in historical details, great characters and tell really wonderful stories. The first follows a group of travelers as they flee the plague and are pursued by their pasts and the second looks at a failed attempt to start a beguinage (sort of a secular convent) and the Owl Masters that rule the town. She’s on my highly recommend list.
- First Sentence Friday cliffsideparklibrary.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/fir… 2 days ago
- RT @thebookseller: Peter Mayle, the author of several books about his move to Provence in France, has died aged 78: bit.ly/2BfBDVC… 2 days ago
- RT @metmuseum: #EdgarAllanPoe was born this day in 1809. This etching of Poe was done by Édouard Manet in 1876. met.org/2FN8J2T htt… 2 days ago
- RT @Guggenheim: “With an apple I will astonish Paris”—#PaulCézanne, born on this day in 1839. Enjoy “Still Life: Flask, Glass and Jug” (187… 2 days ago
- Book of the Day: Winter by Ali Smith #bookoftheday #booksuggestions 2 days ago
Search the Blog